Thursday, February 26, 2015

Random-Ketchup

Random Ketchup...actually Catch-Up! 
(I thought the Ketchup in post title would be more catchy!)
Thursday, February 26, 2015

Wow...it feels like forever since my last blog post, but it's actually only been a couple of days! A lot has been going on in the past two days, so both to personally process everything and avoid the risk of over-blogging (losing your interest), I took a little break from my world of words, aka writing...which I love by the way. And, to hold true to my mission of this blog being the raw, unedited, candid, honest, and real account of my journey, I will tell you that I've been run down, at times emotionally overwhelmed, tired/fatigued, weak, and having more pain than usual. It is during these times that you have to let your body and mind rest. Notice, I didn't say lay around crying in a puddle of self-pity. Own the reality of your situation, make a goal to win, and align your choices and decisions with your goal. This journey is not easy, I know. It's a battle every day to stay positive, focused, and energized.

I get such a great feeling of pride, joy, and love out of seeing how many of you are following my journey, which we've now had almost 1,600 page views since February 18th! More importantly, the gratification of knowing that I'm able to potentially connect with and lift people up who may be struggling in their own battle(s) brings me immense fulfillment. Makes me feel like Chevy Chase (Andy) in that movie Funny Farm, where Andy and his wife move to small, quiet New England town so he can pursue his writing!

In case you don't remember the movie Funny Farm, check out this funny 1 1/2 minute video clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq4mqCDakVQ&list=RDQq4mqCDakVQ#t=0

You never know when something as simple as sharing my blog posts through your social media could touch and change someone else's life. So, please share! And...if you have any connections in the writing/publishing industry, I'm looking for a job!

Since my last post, we've learned that the pathology report confirmed a large colon carcinoma, 9+ centimeters, with a high degree of proliferation, and that combined with my first CT scan showing enlarged lymph nodes, raised suspicion that there could be metastasis or spread of the cancer. So, my surgical oncologist, Dr. Matthew Holtzman, at the UPMC Hillman Cancer Center, ordered a second CT scan, this one the chest. This was performed yesterday morning,after which we met with Dr. Holtzman.

The good news was that there was no evidence of the cancer spreading to other organs. However, there's still the possibility of cancerous cells being found in lymph nodes, which would be removed during surgery and sent to pathology. It is the presence of cancer in the lymph nodes that determines the difference between stage 2 and stage 3 cancer, and also dictates the post-operative care plan. Several people have asked me what stage the cancer was in, and the honest answer is, we don't know yet. Either stage 2 or stage 3. I can say that we're extremely hopeful that if there is or has been cancer in the lymph nodes, that the alternative, natural medicine protocols we have implemented will inhibit proliferation (growth) and metastasis (spread), and begin killing the cancer cells. And, I should add, unlike chemo, protect the healthy cells.

I know many people want to know what I'm doing or what I'm taking. I briefly touched on the generalities of this question in my previous blog post. I do plan to share with you more specifics of what I'm doing, what I recommend, and why in upcoming posts. So, hang in there...it's coming!

As of now, I'm scheduled for surgery Tuesday, March 3, 2015, at UPMC Shadyside. Essentially, we have to wait for a call on Monday to tell us what time the surgery is and when to be there. In the mean time, I will continue to blog, as there's at least one big thing I can think of sharing with you in the next day or two!

How Can You Help?

We have established a gofundme campaign, as well as two t-shirts you can purchase to support my battle to beat cancer. All donations and/or profits from purchases directly go to offset medical expenses. Click the links below to show your support!

http://www.gofundme.com/mikebauman

http://teespring.com/mike-bauman-rize2battle

http://teespring.com/Mike-Bauman-Rize2Battle-2

Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor. My degree is in human biology and my continuing education, research, and studies have been in the fields of life sciences, clinical nutrition, and functional/alternative medicine. Anything I say or recommend is not meant to be or replace medical advice.

I would encourage you to do your own research, conduct your due diligence, always ask questions, and ultimately make health care decisions and choices that are in alignment with your goal(s) or desired outcome...and this goes for any life decisions/choices, whether they be personal or professional.


No comments:

Post a Comment