Sunday, March 1, 2015

God's-Armour

Sunday, March 1, 2015

GOD'S ARMOUR

Have you ever found yourself lost in borderline subconscious thought, pondering the meaning of life, how we got here and why we're here? I have for sure, on many occasions throughout my life. I've generally found that the more I ponder on these questions, the more confusing and overwhelming it seems, because the truth is, we really never know for sure. However, it's been well documented that "faith" plays an important role in one's ability to live a sustainable life of good health, happiness, and longevity.

What comes to mind when you hear or think of the word "faith?" While the definition, and maybe perception, of faith may vary around the world, generally speaking, most people tend to think of their religious belief, a God or Gods, a savior or prophet, heaven, or an after-life. I've often struggled with my own faith as a Christian, because I think there's so much good that comes from the many world religions. And, in the back of my mind there's always that little doubt that questions what if I'm wrong and totally miss the boat? Why does religion require "blind faith?" Why can't we just know objectively, such that we never question our faith?

My wife and I have gone to a  non-denominational Christian church for over ten years, Amplify Church, which by the way, we love and has had a great impact on our children. You can check out Amplify online, including online streaming services at http://www.amplifychurch.com/#3locations. Despite having attended church on a regular basis, I can honestly say that little bit of doubt in the back of my mind has always kept me from fully, 100% accepting Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. That little bit of doubt has always allowed feelings of inadequacy to limit or inhibit my relationship with Jesus Christ.

I'm not a perfect person, a perfect husband, or a perfect father. So, how can Jesus, a perfect man forgive me of my sins and continuously forgive future sins? What if I can't live up to the Christian expectations? What if I'm not comfortable with public displays of religion? What if, what if, what if? Have you ever over-questioned something so much that it's always held you back from taking some sort of action? I definitely have...on many things! It's the old saying, "over-analysis causes paralysis." I've found that to be true when it comes to my religion and relationship with Jesus Christ.

You know, it's interesting, because cancer has given me a new perspective, such that I've realized that you can't question everything, because for some things, there's just no objectively based answer. It's essentially a situation where you have to be willing to accept some things for what they are and where they are in your life. Otherwise, the mind battle distorts your perception of reality. If you recall from my previous posts, the first step in creating change in your life is getting real, real. That is, you have to accept the reality of your situation, followed by discovering or identifying your goal(s) or what it is you want to achieve or overcome, and then be accountable by making choices and decisions that align with your desired outcome.

The reality is that a book, called the Bible, was written which documents the life of a man, Jesus Christ who descended from heaven as the father, son, and holy spirit and entered our material world as a commoner over 2000 years ago. That same man is responsible for establishing the world's largest religion, Christianity, as God's instruction to man. Jesus proclaimed to be the one and only way to the father in heaven. He died on the cross for our sins, and said that those who accept him as their Lord and Savior can enjoy eternal life in heaven. That's really quite the simplified version...I'm no biblical scholar!

Anyway, rather than continuing to ask, what if this is all wrong, I've shifted my mindset to ask, what if it's true and you chose to ignore it? What do you have to lose by believing 100%? So I've accepted this reality, in blind faith. Knowing that my goal(s) are to be healed, energetic, happy, and to live many, many more years I needed to finally accept the reality of Jesus in my life and the need for his love, protection, and healing that only the great doctor can offer. I've also taken a great step in holding myself accountable, by aligning an important choice or decision with my goal, by getting baptized this past Friday. Thank you Pastor Jason Howard and Amplify Church for conducting a private water immersion baptism with my family by my side!

My wife, Kelly, asked me last night if I was scared, referring to my upcoming surgery and cancer in general. My answer was this...Fearful, yes, but not scared as in afraid. After all, there are some things you can't control, and as for cancer and worry, I've chosen to give it to Jesus. After all, I am now fully covered with God's Armour!


No comments:

Post a Comment